Tuesday 21 February 2012

Training and Tidbits

After weeks of anticipation and the finale to my "26 days of fitness challenge", it's time to start training for the  Goodlife Half-Marathon in May!

As someone who is relatively new to running, I've spent a lot of time online figuring out what the best training schedule will be for me.  I've taken into account the suggestions from a variety of fitness disciplines, including crossfit to come up with this schedule:


The main points that I have learned from crossfit instructors are to keep up with the strength training and to incorporate sprints into each training week to increase endurance.  I've barely begun this plan but I already feel like it's a good balanced regime for me.  After the intensity of the workout challenge, having full two full "rest" days is awesome, and as I've realized, incredibly important!

I'm happy for suggestions from anyone in terms of tweaks, so please feel free to leave your comments.







And as for my careeeeeer...

I'm starting to realize how essential it is for me to take care of myself in all respects in order to be at my absolute best in auditions.  Sounds pretty basic but it's easy to let things slide and convince yourself otherwise sometimes.   My goal for this week is to respect every element of being in a great mindset for             acting.  This includes:

  • Fitness
Almost any actor that you talk to will agree with me that your body is your instrument.  It's SO easy to get caught up on weight and appearances.  Instead of focusing on the scale, I am going to go into each run or workout thinking of the confidence that I will take with me into my next audition as a result of my exercise.  It also just helps me clear my head and keep things in perspective!
  • Networking
The whole business side of acting is a complicated balancing act of staying in touch and keeping doors open without pissing anyone off.  It's very easy to think that your talent will take you as far as you want to go but I've come to realize that it's not always the case.  Keeping in touch with important people and letting them know how you are doing and what you are working on is not something to feel sheepish about, and this is something I need to keep reminding myself.  So this week, I'm going to get in touch with my mentors and other people I know in the business and send some packages out to TV shows that I want to audition for.  Also - things like updating the ol' website and getting new business cards are some practical steps I can take to get the other side of my career in shape.
  • Sleep
There are lots of benefits to not having a typical 9-5 job as an actor but there are also some downfalls.  One of those is when you don't have to be up at a certain time in the morning, it's easy to stay up too late and sleep later than you want to.  Problem is - this schedule or lack thereof does not help in creating a working mindset in the morning.  Artists have to put in the same time as any other working person, and getting up and starting the day at a reasonable time is the first steps in being productive.
  • Nutrition
I follow a paleo diet in my day to day life and have for the past 6 months or so.  When I follow it properly that means that I don't have any processed foods in my diet (including dairy and grains!).  It may sound extreme, it may sound like torture but I swear to you if you try it for 30 days, you will never go back.  My energy is better, my digestion is better, and I just plain feel better.  I will do a full blog on this soon, but if you're interested, read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution.  I am not a robot.  If I'm out for dinner with friends and everyone's getting pizza, I go for it.  If it's a beautiful day off, I might have some frozen yogurt.  It's not as extreme as it sounds but after cutting these things out of my diet I realize I'm happier and healthier without them.

  • Education
This is something that I definitely have to make more of an effort to keep on top of.  Education at this point for me means staying on top of training, reading plays, seeing theatre and making sure to stay on top of what is happening in the entertainment scene in Toronto.  I'm going to try to spend a little time every day educating myself!

Hope this inspires an actor who needs a little push.  Take care of yourself :)  You deserve it.

xoxo Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment